Important update: Funding for CEAP and CEAP-SB for electricity and natural gas customers has ended. If you are concerned about paying your bill, please contact us to extend payment arrangements. For urgent issues, please call us at 613-546-1181, ext. 2278, Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 4:30 PM.
Ontario Energy Board consumer alert: no home inspection required for COVID-19 Energy Assistance Programs, Feb. 3, 2021
Utilities Kingston is now delivering the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program for Small Business or CEAP-SB, funded by the Government of Ontario. We are here to support our customers through this difficult time.
The Government of Ontario has provided millions to support small business and registered charity customers who are struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of the COVID-19 emergency.
The COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program for Small Business (CEAP-SB) provides a one- time*, on-bill credit to eligible small business and registered charity customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments.
*If you previously received funding under this program and you are reapplying based on overdue amounts still owing, you may qualify for additional funding up to a total combined maximum credit of $1,500.
CEAP benefit amounts
Small business and registered charity customers may be eligible for up to $1,500 in support towards their electricity and natural gas bills, and can apply for on-bill credits for both electricity and natural gas separately.
Eligibility changes and program information
The Ontario Energy Board updated the eligibility criteria on January 14, 2021, so that more customers may qualify for CEAP-SB. Small business and registered charity electricity or natural gas customers are now eligible for CEAP-SB if they meet all of the following criteria:
- The customer has an active account with an electricity distributor, a unit sub-metering provider (USMP) or a natural gas distributor.
- The customer’s account falls within the following class:
- For customers of an electricity distributor, the General Service less than 50 kW rate class
- For customers of a USMP, the relevant commercial class that uses less than 150,000 kWh of electricity annually
- For customers of a natural gas distributor, is a non-residential customer that uses less than 50,000 cubic meters of gas annually
- Customers can find information about their class on their bill, or they can contact their utility or USMP.
- The customer has a registered business number or charitable registration number for the small business or registered charity operating out of the premises.
- The customer has overdue amounts owing from one or more electricity or gas bills since March 17, 2020, the date of the first Provincial Declaration of Emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you are not eligible for CEAP-SB, your business may still be eligible for property tax and energy bill rebates. More information can be found here: Ontario.ca/covidsupport
In addition, your primary residence may be eligible for residential CEAP or other energy support programs. Contact Utilities Kingston for information on ways to address overdue bills, including entering into an Arrears Payment Agreement. You may also visit the Ontario Energy Board’s website for more information.
Learn about benefit amounts and eligibility criteria, and get answers to frequently asked questions, from the Ontario Energy Board website.
How applications are processed:
- CEAP funding is limited, and we will process applications in the order in which they are received. Submitting an application does not guarantee funding.
- Completed applications will be processed within 10 business days of receipt, and we will apply any available credit to the next bill. An application is considered received on the date it is complete. In situations where we're waiting for additional funding, processing may take longer.
- Once the funds allotted by the provincial government are depleted, applications can no longer be processed.