Utilities Kingston provides customer-focused and cost-effective multi-utility services in Kingston, Ontario, including safe and reliable electricity distribution services to 28,000 customers in Central Kingston, on behalf of Kingston Hydro.
Employees maintain and operate:
- 5,229 distribution poles
- 1,789 transformers that transfer and step-down electricity
- 17 distribution substations
- 684 underground structures
- 101 kilometres of primary distribution underground conductors
- 178 kilometres of primary distribution overhead conductors
- 7 kilometres of sub-transmission underground conductors
- 47 kilometres of sub-transmission overhead conductors
While the service area is operated by the employees of Utilities Kingston, Kingston Hydro holds the Ontario Energy Board license to distribute electricity in Central Kingston. It owns the wires, poles, transformers and meters that bring electricity from the provincial electricity transmission grid to your door, and charges OEB-approved rates designed to cover its ongoing capital and operational costs plus a reasonable deemed rate of return.
For information on Smart Meters, please visit Kingston Hydro’s Smart Meter FAQ's.
For information on electricity conservation programs and incentives, visit