Emergencies: Overview

Utilities Kingston is available 24 hours a day to respond to utility emergencies. Check our outages map for a description of current known water and power outages, and report issues in our service areas 24/7 by calling 613-546-1181.

What is an Emergency?

Here are some signs:

  • Water leak
  • Sewer backup
  • Natural gas smell
  • Power outage
  • Malfunctioning traffic lights

How to Contact Us

For emergency services, phone us at 613-546-1181, any time of the day. After regular business hours, you will be able to reach emergency-service support by pressing the 0 key on your touch-tone phone pad (or by holding for an operator).

For general inquiries, contact customer service at 613-546-0000, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Emergency Preparedness

The City of Kingston offers a helpful resource to help you and your family prepare for an emergency. Check it out on their website.

Information for Property Owners

Are you planning to dig?

Stay safe. Before you dig, get a free locate of underground utility infrastructure by calling Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255.

Are you putting in fence posts, planting a tree, or excavating for a pool, deck or new addition? Before you dig, think about what services might be buried in the ground. There could be electrical services, gas pipelines, as well as water and sewer connections in both your front and back yard.

Blocked sewer line?

Before you clear a blocked sewer line, call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 for a free sewer safety inspection. Avoid the risk of cross bores.

How do I make a property damage claim?

Persons making a property damage claim against the owner of the municipal infrastructure (the City of Kingston) must submit their claims in writing within 10 days of the loss to:

City of Kingston
Attn: City Clerk
City Hall
216 Ontario Street
Kingston, ON  K7L 2Z3

Your written submission must describe the circumstances of the event that resulted in property damage - where, what, when, how and who (including the names of any contractors involved). Also, include your name and the telephone number(s) where you can be reached.

How are property damage claims handled?

Upon receipt of your claim, an investigation begins. This includes visiting the claim location, if appropriate, as well as obtaining internal and external documentation, and speaking to employees and/or contractors who may have some knowledge of the situation. Upon completion of the investigation, you will be notified of the results in writing.

Like most Canadian municipalities, the City of Kingston provides compensation only when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. The intent is to provide an equitable policy for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.