It's important for our customers to receive accurate bills for the amount of water, gas and electricity consumed by their household or business. Reliable metering equipment plays a critical part in ensuring our customers continue to receive accurate bills.
In accordance with the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act and Measurement Canada guidelines, every year we test a number of electricity meters in order to verify accuracy and that the meters conform to legal requirements. Electricity meters must be verified and reverified within appropriate periods, established on the basis of their stability of performance, application and usage. These tests are done on groups of meters that are representative of the whole population.
How it works
- In most cases, electricity meters are located outside and you do not need to be home for us to conduct the test.
- The entire process takes up to 15 minutes and involves removing the existing meter and installing a new one.
- Utilities Kingston will then send meters to an Industry Canada accredited testing facility. This facility will test the meter for accuracy and provide results to Utilities Kingston.
- While not expected, if your meter is found to be out of tolerance, we will advise you of billing adjustments resulting from this process.
- If your meter is located inside, a member of the Utilities Kingston team will leave a card asking you to call and book an appointment so that we can access your premises.
Your assistance is appreciated
To help ensure the safety of our workers and contractors, and of utility equipment, please:
- Ensure your yard is accessible and keep pets restrained.
- Keep your meter accessible and clear. Don’t store anything in front of it.
- If you have any questions or concerns, contact customer service at 613-546-0000.