COVID-19 energy assistance program
Ontario Energy Board consumer alert: no home inspection required for COVID-19 Energy Assistance Programs, Feb. 3, 2021
Utilities Kingston is now delivering the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program or CEAP, funded by the Government of Ontario. We are here to support our customers through this difficult time.
What is CEAP?
The Government of Ontario confirmed that it has made millions available for the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) to support residential customers struggling to pay their energy bills as a result of the COVID-19 emergency.
CEAP benefit amounts
CEAP provides a one-time*, on-bill credit to eligible residential electricity and natural gas customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments. Residential customers may be eligible for up to $750 in support towards their electricity and natural gas bills, and can apply for on-bill credits for both electricity and natural gas separately.
* If you previously received funding under this program and you are reapplying based on overdue amounts still owing, you may qualify for additional funding up to a total combined maximum credit of $750.
CEAP funding is limited, and we will process applications in the order in which they are received. Submitting an application does not guarantee funding.
Eligibility changes and program information
The Ontario Energy Board updated the eligibility criteria on January 14, 2021, so that more customers may qualify for CEAP.
Residential electricity and gas customers are now eligible to apply for CEAP if they meet the following criteria:
- The customer has an account with an electricity distributor, a unit sub-meter provider (USMP) or a natural gas distributor. Only the customer who is the account holder can submit an application for CEAP.
- The customer has overdue amounts owing from one or more electricity or gas bills since March 17, 2020, the date of the first Provincial Declaration of Emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you are not eligible for CEAP, you may still be eligible for other energy support programs. Please visit the Ontario Energy Board’s website for more information. You may also contact Utilities Kingston for information on ways to address overdue bills, including entering into an Arrears Payment Agreement.
Learn about benefit amounts and the complete eligibility criteria, and get answers to frequently asked questions, from the Ontario Energy Board's website.
Apply using our online form below
How applications are processed:
- CEAP funding is limited, and we will process applications in the order in which they are received. Submitting an application does not guarantee funding.
- Completed applications will be processed within 10 business days of receipt, and we will apply any available credit to the next bill. An application is considered received on the date it is complete. In situations where we're waiting for additional funding, processing may take longer.
- Once the funds allotted by the provincial government are depleted, applications can no longer be processed.
COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) application form
- All fields marked with an * must be completed.
- Clarification will be provided immediately after any field with invalid or incomplete input.
Alternatively, complete and submit the below PDF document, however, we will not receive applications submitted this way as quickly. Right-click the link, save the file to your desktop, and open the file using Adobe Reader:
Email the completed form to email@example.com, or send it by mail to Utilities Kingston credit and collections, PO Box 790, Kingston ON K7L 4X7.