Water and Wastewater Master Plan Updates
The objective of the Water and Wastewater Master Plan Updates project is to complete updates to both the former Water Master Plan (2007) and Sewage Infrastructure Master Plan (2010) to refresh the understanding of existing and future infrastructure requirements using common growth and development assumptions. This will assist the Utilities Kingston in meeting existing regulations and future capacity and treatment requirements for maintaining sustainable water and wastewater utilities.
The plan updates provide a roadmap for future water and wastewater infrastructure projects over the next 20 years. The study focuses on maximizing the effectiveness of existing infrastructure and identifying the most efficient approaches to servicing existing and new development by reviewing alternatives and prioritizing expenditures.
The project includes additional noteworthy deliverables aside from the Master Plan Updates, including an update to the Pollution Prevention Control Plan and operational guidance for the interconnected water distribution system. Basic risk assessments and capacity assessments were also completed at all facilities.
WSP Canada Inc. was retained by Utilities Kingston to complete this study in 2015/16.
The Water and Wastewater Master Plan Updates Project were conducted in accordance with the requirements for Phases 1 and 2 of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (October 2000, as amended in 2007 and 2011). Phase 1 of The Class EA process involves identification of the problem or opportunity to be addressed by the project. Phase 2 of the process identifies alternative solutions to addressing the goals of the project. See more information on the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment. Two public information centres (open-house style) were conducted as part of this project, to be held in 2016.
Design and Construction
The Master Plan Updates project provides a list of recommended infrastructure improvement projects including new facilities, upgraded infrastructure and operational changes required to support existing and future development in the City of Kingston. Projects recommended by the Master Plan Updates will each follow an individual Environmental Assessment approach as required by the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment process. As such, this study itself does not have a design and construction phase associated with it.
Schedule and Project Downloads
The approximate schedule for this project is as follows, which follows the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment process. Follow the links in the download column to view associated information.
- Notice of Project Commencement - First Published June 23,
2015in the Kingston Whig Standard.
- Public Information Centre #1 - Held on May 11, 2016. Click here to view the display boards presented at PIC#1 (LOW RES, 20Mb) or (HIGH RES, 142Mb), or here to view the original Notice for PIC#1.
- Public Information Centre #2 - Held on November 16, 2016. Click here to view the PIC#2 display boards presented at PIC#2, or click here to view the original NOTICE FOR PIC #2.
- Notice of Project Completion - First Published March 21, 2017 in the Kingston Whig Standard
- Final Report Documentation, March 21, 2017
- Water and Wastewater Master Plan Update Environmental Assessment Report
- Appendix A - Baseline Review Report-Water
- Appendix B - Baseline Review Report-Wastewater
- Appendix C - Condition Assessment Report-Water
- Appendix D - Condition Assessment Report-Wastewater
- Appendix E - Growth Scenario Report
- Appendix F - Gap Analysis-Water
- Appendix G - Gap Analysis-Wastewater
- Appendix H - Alternatives Analysis and Review-Water
- Appendix I - Alternatives Analysis and Review-Wastewater
- Appendix J - Water Model Calibration Report
- Appendix K - Wastewater Model Calibration Report
- Appendix L - Pollution Prevention and Control Plan Update
- Appendix M - Stakeholder Contact Documents
For further information or to provide comments on the Class EA for the Water and Wastewater Master Plan Updates, or if you wish to be added to the stakeholder contact list, please contact the project team by using the following email address:
Project Email Address: MasterPlans2015@utilitieskingston.com
Alternatively, you may contact Utilities Kingston and/or its consultant (WSP Canada Inc.) at the following addresses:
Mike Fischer, P.Eng.
85 Lappan's Lane
Kingston, ON K7L 4X7
Office: 613-546-1181, extension 2356
Katie Morrow, P.Eng.
85 Lappan's Lane
Kingston, ON K7L 4X7
Office: 613-546-1181, extension 2502
Matt Morkem, P.Eng.
Manager, Infrastructure, Kingston
1224 Gardiners Road
Kingston, ON K7P 0G2
Office: 613-634-7373, extension 406