As of January 14, 2021, changes are in place to the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program eligibility criteria for residents, small businesses and charitable organizations, so that more customers may qualify for these programs.
The COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) and COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program for Small Business (CEAP-SB) are funded by the Government of Ontario and delivered by natural gas and electricity utilities across Ontario.
The programs provide a one-time*, on-bill credit to eligible residential, small business and charitable organization energy customers who have experienced hardships as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
New funding amounts:
- Residential customers may be eligible for up to $750 in support towards their electricity and natural gas bills, and can apply for on-bill credits for both electricity and natural gas separately.
- Small business and registered charity customers may be eligible for up to $1,500 in support towards their electricity and natural gas bills, and can apply for on-bill credits for both electricity and natural gas separately.
* Customers who applied and received CEAP support in 2020 may apply again to be considered for the increased funding amount.
We support these changes and are hopeful that more people will be able to access this funding. Residents, small businesses and charitable organizations who are struggling to pay their bills due to the pandemic: we encourage you to apply to these COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program. The programs are intended to help you catch up on energy bills and resume regular payments. We really want to get these funds into the hands of our customers who need them most.
Learn about benefit amounts and the complete eligibility criteria, and get answers to frequently asked questions, from the Ontario Energy Board's website.
Updated eligibility requirements and application information
Utilities Kingston natural gas and electricity customers can review the eligibility requirements and apply online using the revised online forms:
- This program is intended to assist eligible residential, small business and charitable organization energy customers who have experienced hardships as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- There is no application deadline, however, funding for the program is limited. Complete applications for eligible customers will be processed in the order received and we will apply any available credit to the next bill.
Hydro One electricity customers can learn more and apply at HydroOne.com.
Enbridge gas customers can learn more and apply at EnbridgeGas.com.
If you are concerned about paying your bill, please contact us to extend payment arrangements. We want to make flexible payment arrangements and connect you with financial assistance programs, to avoid disrupting utility services. Call 613-546-1181, ext. 2278, Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 4:30 PM.