Apply for a smart thermostat credit
This Save on Energy program is for residential customers who receive both gas and electricity services from Utilities Kingston.
Save on home heating and cooling costs with a $100 credit on the purchase and installation of a smart thermostat. A bill credit will be applied to the first 250 eligible customers to apply by Dec. 31, 2020.
This Save on Energy program is offered by Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro in collaboration with the Independent Electricity System Operator. Residents who receive both gas and electricity services from Utilities Kingston can find out more and apply below.
How it works
- Buy and install a smart thermostat that meets the technical requirements below.
- The program applies to smart thermostats purchased and installed from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.
Examples of products that DO qualify:
- Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd generation
- ecobee4 SmartThermostat
Examples of products that DO NOT qualify:
- Nest Thermostat E
- ecobee3 Lite
- Complete the online application by Dec. 31 and send proof of payment to Utilities Kingston.
- If you are eligible, and one of the first 250 to apply, Utilities Kingston will apply a credit of $100 to your utility account. (You must receive both gas and electricity services from Utilities Kingston.)
Subject to additional terms and conditions.
Before you apply
The model you purchase must meet the below technical, compatibility, and Wi-Fi requirements. Please ensure this before submitting your application. We are happy to help clarify! Please email email@example.com for assistance.
The smart thermostat must meet the following technical specifications:
- Wi-Fi enabled connection to home router with remote setting and control capability through a mobile device, such as iOS or Android based smart phone or tablet.
- Ability to auto schedule.
- Communication capability allows the firmware upgrade, thermostat data collection (such as temperature set point, HVAC system run time, etc.) by manufacturer remotely.
- 5 Wires 24VAC heating and cooling systems using gas, electric or dual fuels.
- Must be compatible with any multi-stage heating and cooling units, including conventional heating and cooling systems, as well as heat pump systems with auxiliary heating.
- 802.11b/g/n @2.4GHz
- DHCP or Static IP address
- WEP or WPA encryption
Smart thermostat rebate participant agreement
Terms and conditions
By submitting your information and receipt, you agree that the following terms and conditions have been met:
- The smart thermostat you purchased meets the above described technical, compatibility, and Wi-Fi requirements.
- You currently have both residential electricity and natural gas accounts with Utilities Kingston (i.e., commercial accounts are not eligible), for the same home.
- You own or occupy the home where the thermostat will be installed; however, if the home is rented or leased, you must have the required rights and authority to have the thermostat installed.
- You confirm that you have not received, are not receiving and have not applied for or otherwise intend to receive any financial incentives funded by energy ratepayers or taxpayers of the Province of Ontario with respect to a smart thermostat rebate.
- You have not previously received a smart thermostat in respect of the home where the smart thermostat will be installed.
- You agree not to remove the thermostat before 10 years, unless the equipment fails or is replaced by a more energy efficient measure.
- Building owners/managers will not use the thermostat as a basis for applying to the Landlord and Tenant Board for the purposes of an increase in the annual rent amounts paid by tenants, above the annual rent-increase guideline permitted under the Residential Tenancy Act.
The sole eligible cost is the cost of the thermostat; no installation costs are eligible.
- Neither the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) nor Utilities Kingston will be liable for any direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages, costs, or losses arising from the installation or use of the purchased smart thermostat, whether in accordance with the manufacturer' instructions or otherwise.
- All notices required by Section 29(2) of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and all other notices and consents required to comply with all applicable privacy laws.
- The program is restricted to the first 250 applicants who meet the requirements on or before Dec. 31, 2019.
Frequently asked questions
If you have questions about any of the above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or contact customer service by calling 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.
Complete the application by Dec. 31, 2020. (Limited to the first 250 applicants.)
TMSave on Energy Community Program is a trademark of the IESO. Used under license by Kingston Hydro.