Utilities Kingston is warning customers to beware of callers pretending to be from Utilities Kingston and demanding payment for utilities. This is a scam. Several customers have reported this activity.
Customers are reportedly receiving phone calls from scammers using a variety of different numbers. Those contacted are being threatened with having their utility services disconnected if they do not make a payment.
If you receive a message, text or phone call from someone posing as a utility representative and threatening to disconnect your utility services, do not respond to it - contact Utilities Kingston directly at 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday, from 8 AM to 4:30 PM.
If you receive a suspicious call:
- Do not provide any personal information, including Utilities Kingston or credit card account numbers.
- Collect any information possible about the caller.
- Report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501. This agency collects information on fraud and works closely with police to solve these crimes.
- If you become a victim of fraud through monetary loss, call Kingston Police at 613-549-4660.
- Utilities Kingston does not place calls from, or solicit calls to, a 1-800 or 1-888 number.
- Utilities Kingston requests overdue accounts be paid via Paymentus, its third-party credit card payment provider, or by contacting credit and collections at 613-546-1181, extension 2278.