Utilities Kingston is warning customers to beware of callers pretending to be from Utilities Kingston and demanding immediate payment for utilities. This is a scam. Several customers have reported this activity that is also affecting other utilities across Ontario.
Customers are reportedly receiving phone calls from scammers using a variety of different numbers. Those contacted are being threatened with having their utility services disconnected if they do not provide cash payment immediately.
We have taken steps to ensure that the power to your home or low-volume small business cannot be disconnected for non-payment until July 31, 2020. If you receive a message, text or phone call from someone posing as a utility representative and threatening to disconnect your power, do not respond to it - contact Utilities Kingston directly at 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday, from 8 AM to 5 PM.
If you receive a suspicious call:
- Do not provide any personal information, including Utilities Kingston or credit card account numbers.
- Collect any information possible about the caller.
- Report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501. This agency collects information on fraud and works closely with police to solve these crimes.
- If you become a victim of fraud through monetary loss, call Kingston Police at 613-549-4660.
- Utilities Kingston does not place calls from, or solicit calls to, a 1-800 or 1-888 number.
- Utilities Kingston is currently not disconnecting customers for non-payment.
- Utilities Kingston requests overdue accounts be paid via Paymentus, its third-party credit card payment provider, or by contacting credit and collections at 613-546-1181, extension 2278.