On Wednesday, December 8, we are conducting valve maintenance at the municipal City Gate natural gas regulating station (located on Perth Road, just south of Unity Road). Our certified technicians will be onsite to ensure public and worker safety and we anticipate this work will be completed in one day.
As part of this work, we are purging natural gas. You may see a venting flame at the regulating station and there is no cause for alarm.
"Rotten egg" smell
Before natural gas is delivered to homes and businesses, mercaptan is added to it, which gives the gas a sulphur or “rotten egg” smell to help detect leaks.
Residents may notice this “rotten egg smell” north of the 401, in the Shannon's Corners area at Unity and Perth Roads. Although the smell of mercaptan may be strong, the concentration will be very low and there is no health and safety risk to the public or our workers.
We take natural gas safety very seriously, and encourage the public to continue to report suspected natural gas leaks to their service provider. Our certified technicians will continue to investigate every complaint we receive.
In central Kingston, contact Utilities Kingston at 613-546-1181, extension 2151. Outside of our service area, please call Enbridge Gas at 1-866-763-54277.
If you suspect a gas leak
- Evacuate your premises.
- Don't do anything that could create a spark – don’t switch a light on or off, and don’t use cell phones or lighters, for example.
- Call Utilities Kingston immediately from outside your home or building at 613-546-1181, extension 2151. (Outside of our natural gas service area, please call Enbridge Gas at 1-866-763-54277.)
- Don’t use lighters or matches, and don’t smoke.
- Call Utilities Kingston immediately at 613-546-1181, extension 2151.
- Keep clear of the area.
- Don’t start any motors or motor vehicles near the area of the suspected gas leak.
- Don’t use lighters or matches and do not smoke.
For additional information, please contact customer service at 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.