Utilities Kingston is receiving reports from concerned residents who have been approached by
Utilities Kingston advises consumers to understand their rights and be wary when dealing with door-to-door
- Always make sure you get a business card and look at the salesperson’s ID badge first.
- Ask to see their City-issued license to sell door-to-door in the City of Kingston.
- Carefully read the contract, disclosure statement and price comparison provided by the salesperson.
- You do not have to let
sales peoplein your home or even open your door.
- Remember, you have the right to ask
sales peopleto leave your property. If they don’t, then contact police.
- The Consumer Protection Act gives you special rights when you buy something in your home (e.g., at your door) that costs more than $50. For example, you have the right to cancel a contract for any reason within a 10 calendar-day cooling-off period.
Additional information is available from our page on Consumer Awareness.
Have you been approached by a door-to-door salesperson who concerned you? Contact 613-546-0000 to let Utilities Kingston know.