Apply for a smart thermostat credit
This program is for residential customers who receive natural gas services from Utilities Kingston.
(If you receive services from Enbridge Gas, visit their website to get a smart thermostat discount code, before you buy.)
Save on home heating and cooling costs with a $100 credit on the purchase and installation of a smart thermostat. A bill credit will be applied for eligible customers who fill out the application form below.
How it works
- This program is for smart thermostats purchased and installed on or after October 29, 2021.
- Buy and install a smart thermostat that meets the technical requirements below.
- Limited to one credit per account.
Examples of products that DO qualify:
- Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd generation
- ecobee4 SmartThermostat
- Nest Thermostat E
- ecobee3 Lite
- Complete the online application and send proof of payment to Utilities Kingston.
- If you are eligible, Utilities Kingston will apply a credit of $100 to your utility account. (You must receive natural gas services from Utilities Kingston.)
Subject to additional terms and conditions.
Our program manager will review all applications as they are received, and will follow up if additional clarification is required. If you don’t hear from us, no news is good news, and we will apply the credit to your next utility bill. Depending on your billing period, this can take some time.
Before you apply
The model you purchase must meet the below technical and compatibility requirements. Please ensure this before submitting your application. We are happy to help clarify! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The smart thermostat must meet the following technical specifications:
- Wi-Fi enabled connection to home router with remote setting and control capability through a mobile device, such as iOS or Android based smart phone or tablet.
- Ability to auto schedule.
- Communication capability allows the firmware upgrade, thermostat data collection (such as temperature set point, HVAC system run time, etc.) by manufacturer remotely.
- Five wires 24VAC heating systems using gas.
- Must be compatible with any multi-stage heating units, including conventional heating systems.
Smart thermostat rebate participant agreement
Terms and conditions
By submitting your information and receipt, you agree that the following terms and conditions have been met:
- The smart thermostat you purchased meets the above described technical, compatibility, and Wi-Fi requirements.
- You currently have a residential natural gas account with Utilities Kingston (i.e., commercial accounts are not eligible), for the home where the smart thermostat is being installed. The account holder must be the one to apply.
- You own or occupy the home where the thermostat will be installed; however, if the home is rented or leased, you must have the required rights and authority to have the thermostat installed.
- You have not previously received a smart thermostat in respect of the home where the smart thermostat will be installed.
- You agree not to remove the thermostat before 10 years, unless the equipment fails or is replaced by a more energy efficient measure.
- Building owners/managers will not use the thermostat as a basis for applying to the Landlord and Tenant Board for the purposes of an increase in the annual rent amounts paid by tenants, above the annual rent-increase guideline permitted under the Residential Tenancy Act.
The sole eligible cost is the cost of the thermostat; no installation costs are eligible.
- Utilities Kingston will not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages, costs, or losses arising from the installation or use of the purchased smart thermostat, whether in accordance with the manufacturer' instructions or otherwise.
- All notices required by Section 29(2) of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and all other notices and consents required to comply with all applicable privacy laws.
- Limited to one credit per account.
Frequently asked questions
If you have questions about any of the above, please contact email@example.com or contact customer service by calling 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.