Accurate, Reliable Water Metering Equipment
Is your water meter being changed? Here’s what you need to know
It's important that our customers receive accurate bills for the amount of water consumed by their household or business. Reliable metering equipment is critical to ensuring our customers continue to receive accurate bills.
As water meters approach the expected end of life, Utilities Kingston replaces them with a new meter to ensure we accurately record the consumption of water at the customer’s premises. As well, we'll install an e-coder receiver transmitter (ERT) on your meter. This technology is used to transmit data from utility meters over a short range so staff can collect meter data without a worker physically inspecting each meter.
As part of this initiative, from 2014 until 2019, Utilities Kingston aims to replace approximately 28,000 water meters that are part of the municipal water distribution system. In 2020, Utilities Kingston will continue with a proactive program to replace 1,700 water meters annually. Meters are selected for replacement based on age.
What's happening in 2019
We thank our customers for their support of our water meter replacement project. Since October of 2015, we have managed a program to replace nearly 15,000 end-of-life water meters in Kingston, ensuring the continued accuracy of metering equipment.
Utilities Kingston will replace 1,400 water meters in 2019. Not all of the homes and businesses on a street may be impacted. If your building is included, you will receive a notice in the mail. Follow the instructions to book an appointment for the water meter change.
To reduce disruption to our customers, this will be coordinated with other work we’re undertaking (for example, if we need to change a gas meter, we’ll change the water meter at the same time).
- There is no cost for the equipment or installation.
- A Utilities Kingston certified technician will need access to the inside of your home or business to complete the installation.
- Technicians will always be in uniform, carrying photo identification.
- The work typically takes 30-90 minutes to complete.
- Morning or afternoon appointments are available, Monday to Friday, between 9 AM and 12 noon, or 1 to 4 PM.
- An adult, 18 years of age or older, must be present during the installation, and must be available for the entire appointment duration.
- There must be easy access to your existing water meter and the shut-off valve. Before your appointment time, have a licensed plumber repair inoperable valves.
- An opening of approximately 48 cm wide by 38 cm high is needed if the meter/valve is behind a wall, partition or covering.
- Your manual reading device will be upgraded to a new ecoder receiver transmitter (ERT) device. The upgrade will require our technician to run a new wire connection from the transmitter to the meter. Normally this can be completed in the same location as the meter.
- This program is mandatory for all homes and businesses.
If you are part of the 2019 program area, you will receive a notice in the mail. Follow the instructions to book an appointment for the water meter change.
You can learn more about to expect with the water meter replacements program by calling Utilities Kingston customer service at 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday, from 8 AM to 5 PM.
About the solar panel
Utilities Kingston is installing Neptune Technology Group Inc. E-Coder Meters and ERTs. These meters come with a range of features that will help further improve customer service and operational efficiencies in the future.
The digital display on the meter is powered using the solar panel. To read the data display, shine a bright LED flashlight over the meter register’s solar panel.
2019 program area
Remember, not all of the homes and businesses on a street may be impacted. If your building is included, you will receive a notice in the mail. Follow the instructions to book an appointment for the water meter change.