Please be advised our rain barrel program for 2023 as come to an end. Stay tuned for more details on the return of the program spring 2024!
Rain barrel program
Customers looking to buy sustainable products and take climate action – take note! We are now offering repurposed rain barrels that help divert waste from landfill and reduce treated water use. You can order two rain barrels per utility account.
Rain barrel features
- repurposed from durable plastic barrels that were once used to store food (some scratches, dents or markings are expected)
- terracotta in colour
- hold 220 litre/55 gallons
- include a leaf and mosquito filter basket, spigot/tap, overflow adaptor and overflow hose
- dimensions are approximately 23 inches wide and 38 inches tall
- weight is approximately 20 lbs
Some scratches, dents or markings are expected
These rain barrels are repurposed from durable plastic barrels that were once used to store food and come with a two-year manufacturer warranty. Some scratches, dents or markings are expected.
A previous communication incorrectly stated the manufacturer's warranty as 10 years with two years on parts. The correct manufacturer's warranty is as follows:
- a two year return-to-depot repair or replacement warranty is offered on all parts and workmanship under normal use from the date of purchase
How to order
Rain barrels can be ordered online using our online form starting on April 26. If you don't have access to the Internet, visit our main office at 85 Lappan's Lane to use a self-service kiosk, or consider using any branch of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library.
If you're looking to buy sustainable products and take climate action – take note! We are now offering repurposed rain barrels that help divert waste from landfill and reduce treated water use.
Here are a few of the environmental benefits of using a rain barrel:
By using a rain barrel, you’ll reduce your use of treated water. It takes lots of energy to pump and treat water, so saving treated water reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
Rain barrels help divert rainwater from the sanitary and storm sewer systems.
Rain barrels save you money by lowering your water consumption.
Rainwater contains minerals that make it better for plants than treated tap water.
Installation and maintenance
Rain barrels are easy to install:
- Ensure the ground beneath the rain barrel is firm and level. You may want to consider using cinder blocks and a patio stone as a base, to provide more gravity for water flow.
- Cut the downspout four to six inches above the top of the barrel.
- Install a short flexible pipe or a downspout elbow onto the cut downspout to direct water into the top of the barrel.
- Keep the remaining portion of the downspout so it can be reconnected when the rain barrel is winterized.
- Run the overflow hose either back into the drain or into a nearby garden.
Multiple rain barrels can be installed in tandem to increase capacity.
Learn more at https://rainbarrel.ca/instructions/#assembly
In the winter, simply turn the barrel over so that water does not accumulate and freeze, then re-install the downspout to direct water away from your foundation.
If you experience technical difficulties with the order form, or if you require the information in a different format, please call customer service, Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM at 613-546-1181; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.