Rain barrel program- sold out for 2022
Sales start April 19
Customers looking to buy sustainable products and take climate action – take note! We are now offering repurposed rain barrels that help divert waste from landfill and reduce treated water use. You can order two rain barrels per utility account.
Rain barrel features
- repurposed from durable plastic barrels that were once used to store food
- come with a ten-year manufacturer warranty (two years on parts)
- terracotta in colour
- hold 220 litre/55 gallons
- include a leaf and mosquito filter basket, spigot/tap, overflow adaptor and overflow hose
- dimensions are approximately 23 inches wide and 38 inches tall
- weight is approximately 20 lbs
If you're looking to buy sustainable products and take climate action – take note! We are now offering repurposed rain barrels that help divert waste from landfill and reduce treated water use.
Here are a few of the environmental benefits of using a rain barrel:
By using a rain barrel, you’ll reduce your use of treated water. It takes lots of energy to pump and treat water, so saving treated water reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
Rain barrels help divert rainwater from the sanitary and storm sewer systems.
Rain barrels save you money by lowering your water consumption.
Rainwater contains minerals that make it better for plants than treated tap water.
Installation and maintenance
Rain barrels are easy to install:
- Ensure the ground beneath the rain barrel is firm and level. You may want to consider using cinder blocks and a patio stone as a base, to provide more gravity for water flow.
- Cut the downspout four to six inches above the top of the barrel.
- Install a short flexible pipe or a downspout elbow onto the cut downspout to direct water into the top of the barrel.
- Keep the remaining portion of the downspout so it can be reconnected when the rain barrel is winterized.
- Run the overflow hose either back into the drain or into a nearby garden.
Multiple rain barrels can be installed in tandem to increase capacity.
Learn more at https://rainbarrel.ca/instructions/#assembly
In the winter, simply turn the barrel over so that water does not accumulate and freeze, then re-install the downspout to direct water away from your foundation.
For personal, one-on-one conservation assistance, call 613-546-0000, press ‘2’ for Utilities Kingston and then ‘4’ for conservation.