Invite the water buggy to your event
Safe, mobile drinking water in the community
To help protect the health and safety of employees, and ensure the reliability of critical utility services, Utilities Kingston is suspending many non-critical programs and services, until further notice. This includes the water buggy program. We thank you for your understanding as we work together to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
We're proud to supply safe, reliable drinking water in the City of Kingston. That's why we're especially glad to bring quality mobile tap water to selected events in the local community. The Utilities Kingston water buggy is a mobile water distribution system that operates at local events during the summer months.
But don't forget to bring your refillable bottle to festivals and events this summer so you too can enjoy free, safe and reliable tap water. BYOWB (bring your own water bottle)!
Did you know?
Kingston’s municipal drinking water exceeds all provincial water quality standards. Check our annual reports on water quality.
Safe, quality tap water
The Utilities Kingston water buggy is maintained in accordance with operational guidelines and public health regulations. The water buggy is set up by certified water treatment operators. During events, sanitization and cleaning procedures are followed by Utilities Kingston staff who are trained to operate the water buggy.
Quick facts about the Utilities Kingston water buggy
- Each unit holds 1,400 litres. When the onboard stainless steel tank is filled once, it diverts 2,800 plastic bottles from waste.
- Each unit has eight water fountains and eight bottle fill stations.
- The buggy can supply a continuous supply of water when hooked to a municipal water supply. For locations where that’s not possible, the onboard stainless steel tank can be filled and water can be transported to the site.
- The water buggy is accessible to both small children and people with disabilities.
- The units are powered by sustainable energy. Solar panels provide electricity to the water pump and on-board water treatment system.
- The units can be used in emergency situations to provide safe, portable drinking water.
Bookings are generally available any day of the week between May and August on a first-come, first-served basis. If your event falls outside this timeframe, please contact us – we may be able to accommodate your request.
Cost to book the buggy
Utilities Kingston operates the buggy as a community service to promote the value of our safe, reliable drinking water. However, in consideration of our rate paying water customers, we do charge a nominal fee to cover operating costs. Costs vary depending on several factors, as described in the chart below.
Please contact us for a quotation by calling 613-546-1181, extension 2337.
Payment can be made in person at 85 Lappan's Lane using debit, cheque, Visa, or MasterCard (cash is not accepted).
|Method to fill tank||Advantages & disadvantages||Fee||Details|
The buggy receives water at the event from a ¾" water tap connected to the municipal water supply. Food grade hoses take water from the tap to the buggy. Prior to hook up, the water source must be approved by Utilities Kingston staff.
The buggy arrives at the event with its 1,400-litre tank pre-filled with municipal tap water.
Booking the buggy
If you are interested in booking the Utilities Kingston water buggy for your event, submit your request at least three weeks in advance. Requests submitted less than three weeks prior to the event will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To submit your request, please ensure:
- The event is held between the months of May through August. Beyond this time window, due to staffing, applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The event is open to the public, and a minimum attendance of 100 people is expected.
- The event is over four hours in length taking place (for the most part) during daylight hours.
- The site meets Utilities Kingston’s Water Buggy requirements:
- Located on a level surface.
- Easy access for tow vehicle.
- Adequate clearance around the Utilities Kingston Water Buggy for easy access to fountains/faucets.
- Relatively close to the main event activities.
- If draining from grey water tank, positioned close to drain or ditch.
To book the water buggy for your event, call us at 613-546-1181, extension 2337, and have the following information ready:
- Date and location of your event
- Number of anticipated participants
- Contact information
- Availability of municipal water hook-up, if known
- If you prefer to pay over the phone, have your Visa or MasterCard ready as well
Once you’ve confirmed your booking, don’t forget to remind your event participants to bring their refillable bottles to your event.