Water quality standards
Ontario has strict water quality standards, which Utilities Kingston continually meets and exceeds. There are a series of filtration, treatment, monitoring and backup systems in place to continually supply high quality drinking water to every home and business connected to a drinking water system operated by Utilities Kingston.
Although rare, an adverse test result or potential problem in the water treatment and distribution system may result in us asking customers to boil water before consuming it. This web page explains what you should do in case we take this precautionary measure to ensure your safety.
As per Ontario Regulation 170/03, boil water advisories are issued by the KFL&A Public Health, in consultation with the Ministry of the Environment and Utilities Kingston.
What to do
When a boil water advisory is in effect, water should be brought to a rolling boil, boiled for at least one minute and allowed to cool before use.
Use tap water for:
- Washing clothes (if the water is clear)
- Showering (adults and older children) and bathing, provided care is taken not to swallow water. Sponge bathe small children and infants.
- Flushing toilets
Use cooled, boiled water for:
- Brushing teeth
- Hand washing
- Washing fruits and vegetables
- Preparing food and baby formula
- Making ice
- Coffee makers
- Giving water to pets
Do not use:
- Kitchen and other household water filters
- Ice makers and soda dispensers that are connected to the water supply
- Children’s water play activities such as wading pools and water tables
What should I do after the boil water advisory is lifted?
- Run cold water faucets for one minute before using the water.
- Run drinking fountains for one minute before using the water.
- Flush all garden hoses by running cold water through them for five minutes.
- Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle.
- Drain and refill water heaters set below 45°C (normal setting is 60°C).
Where to get information
In case of a wide area boil water advisory, Utilities Kingston will share information using traditional and social media. Follow us on Twitter at @utilitieskngstn and Facebook /utilitieskingston. If you have any concerns about your utility services, contact our 24-hour line at 613-546-1181.
Water distribution area
Utilities Kingston provides safe and reliable water services to homes and businesses in Kingston, Cana and Sydenham. Our distribution area's are serviced by three water treatment plants - King Street, Point Pleasant and Sydenham - as well as a small system in the Cana subdivision. The map below shows the service area of each.