If your basement has flooded, there are some really important things you should know. When in doubt, don’t enter the flooded area until you are told it is safe by a professional qualified to do so.
- Before you enter your basement, consider the risks of electrical shock, gas leaks and
odours, pollutants and structural damage.
- For 24-hour emergency assistance with a sanitary sewer flood in your home, call Utilities Kingston at 613-546-1181. We will check the sanitary sewer collection system, ensure it's working properly, and correct any issues we may find.
- If you have any stormwater-related concerns please contact the City’s Engineering Department at 613-546-4291, extension 3130.
- Call your insurance company. They will immediately advise you on any standard clean-up procedures, contractors to call, and claim procedures.
- Let the City of Kingston or Utilities Kingston know that flooding has occurred. Documentation of flood locations helps municipal staff determine if any work is required on the municipal infrastructure. Use our online flood reporting form, or call us at 613-546-0000.
- Visit our flooded basement web page to get more information, including on clean-up and protecting your property from future flooding.
Visit our Flood Facts for 18 tips that will help you protect your property from basement flooding.