Accessible Customer Service Plan
Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
Utilities Kingston is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. There are no fees for admission to Utilities Kingston’s premises.
Notice of temporary disruption
When temporary disruptions occur to Utilities Kingston services or facilities, Utilities Kingston will provide notice by posting the information in relevant visible locations, on the Utilities Kingston website www.utilitieskingston.com, and/or by any other method reasonable and applicable under the circumstances. Other methods of notification may include e-mail messages to stakeholders, and the use of various forms of local media.
Training for staff
Utilities Kingston will provide training to all of its employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf.
This training will be provided to staff during their initial orientation to their duties upon hire or, at the latest, within three weeks of hire.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Utilities Kingston’s accessible customer service plan.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to assist customers with disabilities to access our goods or services
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Utilities Kingston’s goods and service
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to your accessible customer service plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Utilities Kingston provides goods and services to people with disabilities can contact Customer Service. All feedback will be directed Customers can expect to hear back in five business days. Complaints will be addressed according to our organization’s regular complaint management procedures.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of Utilities Kingston that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.