Solar Domestic Hot Water System Rentals
Solar domestic hot water systems save energy (the equivalent of nine barrels of oil a year) and help reduce greenhouse gases. Plus every dollar the solar hot water program makes is reinvested in an Environmental Fund.
Utilities Kingston is now offering customers the option to go solar. Our solar domestic hot water systems come with all components, including: solar panels, tanks and pumps. Installing a solar hot water system is a great option for environmentally-conscious property owners.
When a Solar domestic hot water system is rented in combination with a water heater from Utilities Kingston, the rental rate is reduced. Rental rates for various size system (examples: 2, 3, 4, 5 panels) and other configurations are also available. Contact Utilities Kingston to find out how a Solar Domestic Hot Water system can be designed to meet your hot water heating needs.
|2 Panel, 300 Litre Tank||$49.00|
|3 Panel, 300 Litre Tank||$58.00|
|4 Panel, 300 Litre Tank||$67.00|
|2 Panel System||$39.20|
|3 Panel System||$47.20|
|4 Panel System||$54.00|
Buy your Solar System
As an alternative to renting, you can purchase a solar domestic hot water system from Utilities Kingston. Cost of a two-panel system (for example) is currently $4,999, not including installation. Call us for more information on purchasing.
This rebate program expired March 31, 2012
An allowance equal to $1,250 for a residential solar domestic hot water system is available through the Ontario Home Energy Savings Program. This can be used to cover towards the installation cost of the system. All installation costs shouild be finalized with installer before installation begins. Should more work be required (such as difficult panel mounting, extra piping or additional panels), additional charges may be billed to the homeowner by the installer.
Also available is a $150 allowance for your Home Audit through the Ontario Home Energy Savings Program.
How does the Solar Hot Water System Work?
A glycol/water solution circulates between the solar collectors (panels) and the solar storage tank. When a household hot water tap is opened, the solar storage tank releases the solar heated water into the conventional hot water tank, which only fires its burner or heating element if the desired temperature cannot be maintained by the solar system.
How does the Rental Program work?
- Contact Utilities Kingston staff at 613-546-1181 ext. 2310 to arrange a free home assessment. We will come out and check to see if solar system will work for you.
- After we confirm compatibility, an appointment is booked for a Home Energy Audit.
- We urge rental customers to obtain installation estimates from at least two contractors.
- Choose your installer and they will deliver and install the solar system.
Benefits of a Solar Domestic Hot Water System
- Your home may qualify for free installation or significant rebates with participation in the Ontario Home Energy Savings Program.
- Solar domestic hot water systems save energy — the equivalent of nine barrels of oil a year — and help reduce greenhouse gasses. Plus, every dollar the solar hot water program makes is reinvested in an Environmental Fund.
- Worry-free rebate processing.